Let’s face it, we spend a lot of time at work. Whether you work in an office or telecommute from home, the majority of your waking hours are spent sitting at a desk. With so much time at work, it’s important to make the space your “home away from home.” A comfortable and personal work space can lead to increased productivity, better morale and a much happier you! Here are some of my favorite creative tips to help make your work space reflect you:
- Surround Yourself With Life Moments. A picture from your wedding day, a drawing that your son did in school, a hula girl figurine from your trip to Hawaii: reminders of life moments can make for fun, inexpensive office décor. Those cherished items can help remind you that all that hard work pays off!
- Warm Up Your Office With Light. Offices can be cold and uninviting, with banks of overhead fluorescent lighting. A simple tabletop lamp can be just the thing you need to warm up your office. Tabletop lamps come in so many different styles, they’re a great way to add your own personal style.
- Go Green! Real plants not only improve the look of your office, they improve the health of your office. Oxygen-generating plants recycle old stale office air. Add a breath of fresh air to your office and go green.
- Add Pops of Color. Break out of the institutional beige and add color to your office with accessories. Colorful and decorative binders, desk organizers, storage bins and file folders can brighten up and transform even the most sterile office.
- A Spoonful of Sugar. Who doesn’t like a piece of candy once in a while? Adding a candy dish is a welcoming and inviting item to add to your desk. Keeping your favorite treats handy is a reminder that breaks are always important and help productivity. Pop a piece of candy in your mouth and savor the moment. If you are on a health kick, add a fruit bowl or some mixed nuts.
- Roll Through Your Workday in Style. Chair mats have come a long way from the ugly rubber floor protectors they once were. Mats now come in all shapes, colors and materials. My favorite mat is bamboo. Bamboo mats not only look great, they’re green too. Most bamboo mats are eco-friendly and are sustainably harvested from their native habitat.
- Hang Original Art. Most workplaces have art or commission art for their offices. If you are lucky enough to have the freedom to hang your own art, it’s a great way to personalize your office space. My shared office features artwork by one of my coworkers. It’s a great way for companies to support their employees’ interests and hobbies.
Need help finding furniture that works? Call our furniture experts at (800) 558-1010 or shop our full selection of decor here.