If you’re from generation X, you probably know Kathy Ireland as a famous supermodel. If you’re from generation Y, you might know Kathy Ireland as a popular designer and manufacturer of fashion and home products. For both groups of people, there are probably a lot of other things that you never knew about the supermogul who has designed some of the best-selling office furniture collections offered at National Business Furniture. Here are 10 of our favorites.
1. Kathy Ireland has been a designer and businesswoman since she was very young. At just four years old, Kathy started her first business selling painted rocks from her childhood wagon.
2. When she was done with her rock business, Ireland moved on to bigger and better business ventures, becoming the first female paperboy in her neighborhood at the age of 11.
3. The supermodel Kathy Ireland we’ve come to know started when she signed with Elite Model Management. She was still in high school when she was discovered by the agency.
4. Ireland made a household name for herself as a model by being on the cover of the annual Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue three times, and by being featured on the inside pages 13 consecutive years.
5. Ireland’s first business as an adult came in 1993 when she took out a loan for $50,000 to launch her sock business. This later led to kathy ireland Worldwide—a company that is now responsible for thousands of products and more than one billion dollars in annual revenue.
6. Kathy Ireland has had a number of television appearances over the course of her career. In 1994, she had a recurring role on the prime time soap opera Melrose Place, and she was also a contestant on Dancing with the Stars in 2009.
7. Kathy Ireland is married to an ER doctor, and together they have three children named Erik, Lily and Chloe.
8. She has authored six books that focus on the topics of business and motherhood.
9. Kathy Ireland works with Martin Home Furnishings to design and manufacturer her line of office furniture solutions. Together the pair have created 16 beautiful office collections in a wide range of styles.
10. When asked about her success, Kathy Ireland is quoted as saying, “Imagination without implementation is hallucination.”